History of Alloway Township School
In the earliest years of the village, buildings erected specifically for schools were not known; education, however was not neglected. Classes were held in private homes.
Even as late as 1740, there was no school (or schoolhouse) between Salem and the Alloway Creek. This region was sparsely settled. We learn from old editions of Salem newspapers that the Allowaystown School was first established in a house standing by a hickory tree on the farm of John Fries. This house was replaced by a brick building in 1845.
A second building was built in 1856 on Lambert Street. The new school on Lambert Street sufficed for all grades except the lowest ones, which still used the 1845 building on the Fries property until 1912. High school students matriculated at Salem. After 1925, Alloway’s high school students went to Woodstown instead of Salem.
In 1925 the schools of the township were consolidated; Miss Mary Elizabeth Remster became Principal and eighth grade teacher of the new Alloway Township School, where she stayed until her retirement in June 1943, having taught for 48 consecutive years. Miss Remster began her teaching career on September 5, 1895 in the Alloway School.
On April 7, 1958 a dedication ceremony was held for a new school erected on Cedar Street. Miss Remster was honored at this ceremony where over 600 persons responded with flowers, cards, gifts or calls to wish her well. At this time the new school was dedicated in memory of Miss Remster being named the “M. Elizabeth Remster School. “
In 1980 the Alloway Township School and the M. Elizabeth Remster School were consolidated to one building now known as the Alloway Township School. Several additions have been made to the school over the years. This school now educates students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade.