Places to See/Hear Closing Announcements:
The Blackboard Connect messaging system will contact parents/guardians via a phone call or message and/or email. (PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION IS UP-TO-DATE.)
Channel 6 ABC
There will be information under 'Announcements' on the home page of this website.
School Closing Options:
All Day Closing 7:50 a.m. to 2:30 p.m
All evening and SACC activities will be canceled unless otherwise indicated.
Two Hour Delay 9:50 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Bus pick-up times will be exactly two hours later. The mid-day pre-K bus route will run one hour later, and we run both the AM and PM pre-K on a modified schedule.
School Closing Information:
Our district staff understands that the decision to open or close schools in bad weather has a big effect on families. We also understand that our students are better served - both academically and socially - by being in school. But as always, our top priority is the safety of our students.
HOW DO WE MAKE OUR DECISION?
Please understand that the decision to close or delay the opening of school in bad weather is based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
- Information on road conditions: Careful consideration is given to the most dangerous roads in the district. Even if your road looks clear, travel elsewhere in the district may be dangerous.
- Amount of snow and ice accumulated.
- Whether precipitation is continuing.
- Building conditions: Such as whether we have electricity and heat.
- Parking lot conditions: Administrators talk to maintenance & custodial staff members who are responsible for clearing & treating school parking lots & sidewalks.
- Temperature and wind chill.
- Weather predictions: We prefer not making our decision based on weather predictions, which are not always accurate. However, sometimes this is unavoidable.
- What other school districts are doing: We also share information with other local districts and check whether they are opening or closing.
WHO MAKES THE DECISION?
The Superintendent of Schools is responsible for the final decision, based on the above factors.
WHEN IS THE DECISION MADE?
The decision to close school is normally made by 5:00 a.m. or earlier so we can notify parents and guardians.
WILL WE CLOSE SCHOOL IF CONDITIONS WORSEN?
If weather conditions worsen, it is difficult to reverse our decision in the morning without endangering students. Once the decision is made to open the schools, many parents rely on it and leave for work. If the students are then sent right back home, many will return to empty houses. If conditions get worse during the school day, there may be a need to have an early dismissal, but adequate notice to all parents will be given first.