School Emergency Closing Information
Alloway Township School's Emergency Closing Number is 906.
Please refer to this number when checking local television and radio stations.
School Closing Information
Our district staff understands that the decision to open or close schools in bad weather has a big effect on families. We also understand that our students are better served - both academically and socially - by being in school. But as always, our top priority is the safety of our students.
HOW DO WE MAKE OUR DECISION?
Please understand that the decision to close or delay the opening of school in bad weather is based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
- Information on road conditions: Careful consideration is given to the most dangerous roads in the district. Even if your road looks clear, travel elsewhere in the district may be dangerous.
- Amount of snow and ice accumulated.
- Whether precipitation is continuing.
- Building conditions: Such as whether we have electricity and heat.
- Parking lot conditions: Administrators talk to maintenance & custodial staff members who are responsible for clearing & treating school parking lots & sidewalks.
- Temperature and wind chill.
- Weather predictions: We prefer not making our decision based on weather predictions, which are not always accurate. However, sometimes this is unavoidable.
- What other school districts are doing: We also share information with other local districts and check whether they are opening or closing.
WHO MAKES THE DECISION?
The Superintendent of Schools is responsible for the final decision, based on the above factors.
WHEN IS THE DECISION MADE?
The decision to close school is normally made by 5:00 a.m. or earlier so we can notify radio and TV stations and send an automated message to parents and guardians.
WILL WE CLOSE SCHOOL IF CONDITIONS WORSEN?
If weather conditions worsen, it is difficult to reverse our decision in the morning without endangering students. Once the decision is made to open the schools, many parents rely on it and leave for work. If the students are then sent right back home many will return to empty houses. If conditions get worse during the school day, there may be a need to have an early dismissal, but adequate notice to all parents will be given first.
Although the District does its absolute best in this process, often no perfect decision exists. If you do not feel as though it is safe for your child to attend school, use your best judgment on whether he or she should attend.
Hopefully this explanation helps everyone understand the process that the District uses to make the best possible decision.
School Closing Options
All Day Closing
7:53 a.m. to 2:40 p.m.
All evening and SACC activities will be canceled,unless otherwise indicated.
One Hour Delay
8:53 a.m. to 2:40 p.m.
Bus pickup times will be exactly one hour later.
Two Hour Delay
9:53 a.m. to 2:40 p.m.
Bus pickup times will be exactly two hours later.
Places to See/Hear Closing Announcements
The Blackboard Connect messaging system will contact parents/guardians via a phone call or message and/or email.
PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION IS UP-TO-DATE!!!
Channel 6 ABC